Saturday, July 14, 2007

Return of the Jed - for Nathaniel Tan

After checking for any updates on Nathaniel Tan's detention a malaysiakini, I made my usual haj to my mate walski’s blog myAsylum and was surprised (delightfully, mind you) to learn that erstwhile blogger Freelunch2020, who left the blogosphere immediately post Ijok (as she vowed), has return to lend her support to Nathaniel Tan.

Those of you who know something of the post Ijok situation that had affected Jed (Freelunch2020) would surely applaud her gracious return - in fact, it should be a double applause as she has not only broken her vow not to blog in order to lend support to Nat, but ........ I won’t elaborate on the second reason any further.

Her resurrected blog starts off with a poignant reminder to us who are still hesitating to support Nat, as follows:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out
.

First they came … is a
poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. (From Wiki)

Well said Jed.

2 comments:

  1. BTW, Freelunch2020's blog is now locked up - cannot be accessed by anyone
    I guess she got into trouble with her MCA-linked employers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kk46, yes, you are right - she has. But we shouldn't guess her reason - it could be for a number of reasons, which only she knows it. I really don't see as relevant which political party her employer is linked in her blogging support for Nat Tan.

    ReplyDelete