Thursday, May 04, 2006

No execution for Zacarias Moussaoui

Last month I blogged on The Truth about Flight 93, where I said the flight was shot down by a USAF plane rather than, as claimed by US authorities, crashed due to the bravery of some of its passengers. I wrote the following:

I cannot understand why the American authorities have recently been allowed to indulge in what I perceive as unnecessary stressful traumas for the victims’ families, by releasing tape recordings of the last agonising cries of dying victims. Perhaps they wanted the horrors to be relived to lend weight to the prosecutors case for the execution of Moussaoui, the only person convicted in the US for the 9/11 attacks - though I have a wild theory that he might not be executed, but then that's another story and a fairly wild one at that.

Note my last sentence “…though I have a wild theory that he might not be executed, but then that's another story and a fairly wild one at that.”

Well, it has come to be, because we have just been informed by news flash that Zacarias Moussaoui, an alleged al-Qaeda plotter is to be jailed for life rather than executed for his role in the 9/11 attacks, despite his blabbing self-confessional during his trial that he had plotted to take a 5th plane on a suicide flight.

The BBC reported that defence lawyers successfully argued he should face life in prison, rather than martyrdom through execution, and the jury has agreed, though not unanimously. The judge is bound to hand down the jail sentence. Moussaoui is the only man prosecuted in the US over 9/11.

You may ask how I could predict the verdict? Tonight, I’ll reveal what I had been suspiciously considering all along, though at that time I had qualified my thoughts as a logical but still, for a layperson like me not in total command of all facts, ‘fairly wild’ theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment